Sunday, September 9, 2012

options options and what are the options?

I visited both of their communities.  Rappenhanock Landing, and Layfayette crossings. the sales rep stayed back, andswerd questions, and i later found out was paying very close attention to what we looked at, dwelled with and 'played' with.  I say this because when we agreed to 'build' our house on paper.  just a buch of codes and general descriptions, so dont get too excited to see a 3d graphich of it (would be nice though) he was able to call off the options we admired from the model homes, and included them in the option list.  He also asked the questions on the options he didnt know was obvios ans was honest about adding it or not.  you have to understand, that even though there are many options, not everything will be possible, it is a town house, and they do have a basic uniformity.  I will assume though if you got the coin, they will make exceptions, but it will probably cost dearly.  and no they will do everything to not show you what the entire option list is.  imho it wont do any good, too many, and non specific descriptions, so it will most likely just confuse you.

my suggestion, is to let him know what you want, ask what can be upgraded, and room by room in the model, ask what was standard and what was upgraded.  for instance, crown moldin, you'll see it, but the base price doesnt include it, but if you want it, ask for it (for a price) or put it on yourself for much cheaper.  btw molding is usually pretty easy it put up, many diy guides out there.

bottom line do a little research, ask what was standard and what is upgraded, and describe what you want.  for those of you that want or 'need' to see an option list, i will try to get it scanned and posted.  they will give it to you when you agree to buy (paperwork signed) and will be given time to update.  when i got the list and went over it, i did not see any option i really wanted that i didnt get in the initial paperwork.  that is proof to me the sm (sales manager) did his job.

so the reasons why I chose here?  Even though I work in Arlington, I plan on thaking the VRE, a commuter train there.  Layafette crossings is @2.5 miles from the station.  Yes it will be @ 1 hour, but during rush hour it takes that long to drive half the distance, if not more.  the hour will give me my time to decompress or gear up for work.  To me, acceptable.  Next but along the same lines, it is away from the traffic and the feeling of being cramped with population.  also, downtown fredricksburg has a nice charm to it.  Also it is technically in Spotsyvania County, so lower tax rate, but just barely outside of Fredricksburg.  It seems safe there for my family.  it is off enough the beaten path, but close enough to others (townhouse duh) that hopefully crime is limited to just silly things and nothing tramatic.  I like the style of the homes, the curb appeal and the inside layout.  Price compared to anything north.  I'll get new, more space, how I want it for much less. These were the main things involved for me.

And I finally Got them scanned in.  Here are what they were. 



















The cabinets for the kitchen and bathrooms look like this. Timberwood is the maker.
image
Click on the link above to see the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment